Friday, March 2, 2012

Hounded Re-Read, Week 1


If you're wondering what this is all about, click here to go back to my introductory post.  Basically I'm taking part in a blog contest, and this week we're answering questions about Chapters 1-5 of Hounded by Kevin Hearne.  Head on over to the host blog if you want to see other peoples answers to the same questions.  Also, there will probably be some spoilers as we go through this process.  You've been warned.



1) Kevin Hearne had the most perfect beginning for this book:  "There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and formost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius."  If you were to live for centuries what do you think you would be excited to see?

I think Atticus hits it dead on the nose.  Imagine if you had the opportunity to actually see Beethoven and Mozart, or talk to Tolkien and Lewis at the pub, or watch Notre Dame as it was constructed.  That would be the biggest perk, all the chances to see stuff as it's happening, and think "that Shakespeare, he's gonna be big someday."


2) In the 2nd chapter we learn about the amulet and its protection powers!  Do you think having met the Morrigan and heard about Aenghus Og that it will be enough to protect Atticus?

When you're fighting with the likes of gods, no one thing is ever going to be enough to protect you.  The amulet is pretty amazing, and the Morrigan is right to be so intrigued by it, but Atticus has made some very powerful things very angry over the years.


3) The literary world's coolest dog is introduced in this chapter!  Did you love Oberon immediately?  Show me a picture or describe the type of animal you would love to have as a talking companion! (Cat, Dog, Mouse, Sloth, Horse---what is your pick--pictures please)?

If you're being absolutely practical, an Irish wolfhound is pretty much the perfect answer to this question.  It's a dog, so you can take it out in public and not attract too much attention.  It's big enough to actually be useful without being so big as to be impractical.  However, if I can throw all that out the window, my answer is a polar bear.  It's the largest living carnivore on the planet, and would make an incredible ally when it's time for stuff to go down.  Besides, how awesome would it be to buy it Coke to drink?


4) In this chapter Flidais asked Atticus what his name is and then precedes to ask if anyone actually believes he is Greek?  He says nobody pays attention to names here.  Do you know what your name means and where it comes from?  Or do you have a name you wish had?  Let's talk names!

My real first name comes from Old Norse and means "Thor's rock".  That might seem to put me at odds with this book's protagonist, but don't worry, we're cool.


5) We learn about Atticus' lawyers in this chapter, a rather unique combo!  Without jumping ahead, would you hire a lawyer combination of two supernaturals who on the surface would appear to be natural enemies or at the very least two very Alpha attitudes? What would be the positives and negatives of that decision.

In the end, you hire lawyers to give you advice.  If you can afford it, what would be better than having two super-competent, super-old dudes who you know won't agree with each other unless they both think something is the best course of action?  Seems like the perfect kind of lawyers to hire, if you ask me.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love what your name means and I am sure that Atticus wouldn't hold it against you. I mean it isn't your fault that Thor is an ass LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I wish my name meant something that cool! and holy crap! Polar bears! I'd be terrified of you as you were just walking down the street! But I would definitely stop and take pictures of your bear drinking coke...send it into coca-cola and get free pop for life! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know if you had a polar bear as a pet, no one in their right mind would dare mess with you!

    The Old Norse meaning of your name is so awesome. IMO, that's something worth bragging about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your answers! You have a great blog here!! Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A polar bear freaking awesome answer, except Atticus couldn't have a polar bear in Tempe. It is hot as hell there, I know I lived there for ten years. The meaning of your name is so different. High five on seeing Mozart Beethoven, Tolkein and Lewis. That would be amazing to chat with Tolkein ask him how the heck he made up Elven language.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, Bob the polar bear would definitely have a hard time outside in Tempe, but I was thinking of the answer as my companion. It's pretty hot where I live, too, but I try to stay in the AC as much as possible, so he could hang with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, yes. Clearly polar bears are the best pet to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so in love with your answer to number 3! Seriously, a polar bear would rock as a pet! I'd laugh so hard buying it a coke because it is those types of things that amuse me. I'd have to take a picture and post it on the blog with a footer that said what his thoughts were. Bob drinking Coke, zero...says the flavor isn't as good as the Classic. Also, he prefers the glass bottle.

    Also, "Thor's Rock" LOL! I can see the goat jokes coming from Leif soon. Although, maybe we hit Thor with "Thor's Rock". Okay, I'm stretching this. Having a name from old Norse, I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sweet! A polar bear! I would so give it a Coke to drink as well! LOL

    I really think the meaning of your name is quite cool. I totally think Atticus would be fine with the meaning. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your answers - particularly the polar bear - no one would be messing with you!
    And, so cool, wish I'd thought to meet Tolkien - I love LOTR and just reread it, currently reading the Hobbit (amongst other things!) in preparation for the film!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete