Thursday, March 22, 2012

Laura's 100 Books in 2012 - #13



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs




I'll be the first to admit that, if I can help it, I don't watch horror movies. I blame it on my parents for somehow letting me see one of the Chucky movies when I was younger. One of the things I hate in scary movies are scary children (ironic considering my job).

This actually has nothing to do with #15, really. It was a really good book, with spooky pictures. I just happened to read it at night in my mom's guest room that happens to have antique pictures of scary children. I recommend the book, but not the setting where I read it.

Sixteen-year-old Jacob has heard his grandfather's stories about the peculiar children and the monster's who are after them his whole life, but didn't really believe them. After a family tragedy, Jacob goes on a quest to discover if the stories are true.

This book is told through the story, but it also has these awesome and real pictures to show the peculiar children. I loved the characters and how they were set in this very peculiar world. Once Jacob goes on his quest, there is this other part of the story that I didn't see coming and its level of detail kind of blew my mind. I think that part is setting things up for a sequel. Really good read, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment