Friday, March 23, 2012

Laura's 100 Books in 2012 - #14



The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart




Frankie is a 15-year-old at an elite boarding school who happens to be in a relationship with the school star, a senior named Matthew. She soon finds out that Matthew is a part of the school's secret all-male club called the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds. Feeling left out, Frankie creates a fake identity to try and infiltrate the Order.

I get wanting to be a part of the boys club. Frankie (and many other girls) feel like boys can get away with so much more than girls, no matter what century we are living in. And that's the whole point of the book: she wants to break out of the mold of what a girl is supposed to do, while also trying to maintain her own identity in a relationship. I admire the character of Frankie, although she wasn't my favorite of the book (that title goes to the elusive Alpha).

I love Young Adult lit, even though I'm a little less Y and way more A these days. This is a great example of great YA lit: no parents, getting to know yourself, and drama. Frankie is such a wonderful example for young girls that the book kind of makes me want to have a daughter and give her this book to read. Or maybe I'll just read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment