Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Laura's 100 Books in 2012 - #11



Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg




I am proud of being Southern. Am I ashamed of parts of my "Southern heritage?" Yes. Will I ever own anything bearing the Confederate Flag? No. Will I ever attend a race at Talladega? Ummmm... maybe.

I also love Southern literature, with Faulkner being my favorite ( I know, I'm also pretentious). Fried Green Tomatoes isn't just a great Southern novel. At it's heart are amazing stories about people who could live down your street today, or people who lived a long time ago, or people who can never live again, because times have changed that much.

Ninny Threadgoode tells the story of a small town (Whistle Stop, Alabama) and some of its residents, specifically Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamison. She weaves her tale to Evelyn Couch, a housewife who is searching for something beyond the house.

I loved this book. I loved it because it reminds me of my grandmothers and grandfathers. I loved it because it reminds of the relatives I am too young to meet, but through stories like these, I have come to know. It makes me want to go have a conversation with some one over the age of 65. I highly recommend #11!

No comments:

Post a Comment