Friday, April 20, 2012

Liz's 100 Books in 2012 - #13



The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards


The story is about a man who gives away his daughter when she is born with Down Syndrome, then fakes her death and doesn't tell his wife or the girl's twin brother. It follows his family and the nurse who raises his daughter throughout the children's lives.

This book kept popping up every time I looked at Goodreads, so I gave it a shot. Let's just say I was very disappointed. With so much hype, I expected much better. I guess we've all figured out by now that I really enjoy books with good characters, and this one was seriously lacking in that department. I didn't love any of the characters, and I only slightly liked two of them! Unfortunately, the unlikable characters were the least of this books problems. The story was slow to develop, and the subplots were kind of bizarre (the husband ends up becoming a famous photographer, even though he started out as a doctor).

2 out of 5 (and that's being generous)

No comments:

Post a Comment