Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Comic Mini-Reviews Week of April 18th, 2012


This week: Owl poop hits the fan, Green Arrow becomes a stalker, and there's gonna be a wedding!

Batman #8 – While I have placed pretty significant praise on Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's New 52 Batman run (particularly, issue number five), I readily admit that it is a pretty slow burn. Issues one through seven, while interesting, have not exactly moved at a breakneck pace. In fact, I would argue that issue number eight felt like the story was moving forward for the first time. That's not to discount the buildup to this moment, it's just an observation of the pacing that Snyder has purposefully employed. The Night of Owls explodes into the DCnU with this issue and Batman rallies the troops for the biggest fight the Bat-family has seen post relaunch. The main part of the story, illustrated by Capullo, had the right amount of menace for the characters involved while the backup, drawn by Snyder's American Vampire collaborator Raphael Albuquerque, set the tone well for the crossover.

Batman Beyond Unlimited #3 – What a dense issue! In this book there is a Batman Beyond story, a Superman Beyond Story, and a Justice League Beyond story. I am horrible at counting comic book pages, so I won't even try, but this issue felt like an incredible deal for four bucks. Not only did it continue the solid Dustin Nguyen/Derek Fridolfs future Justice League story, it also gave us more Mad Stan by Adam Beechen and Norm Breyfogle. Not to mention that the Superman Beyond story was actually one of the most solid things I have read by JT Krul since he started working for DC. The art by Howard Porter and John Livesay was spot on and the story was actually touching without ever becoming mopey. However, it was not perfect. For example, Krul introduces a Lisbeth Salander clone as Lex Luthor's long lost daughter. While that's a potentially fun mashup, I feel like the character is a bit on the nose.

Birds of Prey #8 – The most solid b-level book in the New 52 continues to be pretty good. Duane Swierczynski, Jesus Siaz, and Javier Pina take the team into the second storyline where we finally find out why DCnU Black Canary has been on the run from the police. It turns out she killed Green Arrow. Just kidding! She killer her husband. Wait... So what we find out is that the New 52 version of Dinah Lance was married to someone (not Oliver Queen) and killed him. The BoP square off against a team of terribly named metahumans (no, seriously, so bad it almost has to be intentional on Swierczynski's part) that were hired to bring Canary into police custody. It's a strong teamwork issue with a nicely choreographed payoff at the end. As always, I love Saiz and Pina's art. I will be sad to Saiz go...thankfully, his replacement is the awesome Travel Foreman!

The Defenders #5 – Issue five seemed like a bit of a mess to me. It was a book with some solid stuff in it, but just about all of it fell flat in my opinion. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge about Namor's backstory but nothing that happened in The Defenders made any sense to me. I am a big proponent of trusting the narrative of a story and there are few writers that I trust as much as Matt Fraction. So, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that it will all make sense in the end. (I call this the Reading Grant Morrison 101 Method.) Mitch Breitweiser's art is fine but I am looking forward to James McKelvie taking over in a few months.

Justice League #8 – What in the world is going on!? The main story of issue number eight involves Green Arrow following the Justice League around like a stalker asking for membership. Look, I know that the secret meeting between Oliver Queen and Steve Trevor hints at a larger story that has yet to unfold, but it was just kind of sad. I am not opposed to change and, for the most part, I have enjoyed the way the New 52 has shaken things up, but Justice League continues to be baffling. The sad thing is, that this isn't that much of a change from older versions of the story. It's actually in line with the pre-DCnU continuity established in Mark Waid, Brian Augustyn, and Barry Kitson's JLA: Year One. Yet, the retelling/re-imagining in issue eight lacks all of the original's subtlety and characterization. (I won't go into details because...spoilers). The saving grace of issue eight is the second installment of Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's Shazam revamp. I am sure that there are people out there that are unhappy with it, but I think Captain Marvel is the kind of character that could use some reconfiguring.

Manhattan Projects #2 – After focusing on Robert Oppenheimer almost completely in issue one, Johnathon Hickman opens up the world of Manhattan Projects and gives us more insight into how things work and who the major players are. Most of the issue revolves around the United States government's mission to recruit Werner Von Braun near the end of the war in Europe. There are a ton of neat little ideas and interesting moments. Von Braun in particular gets a few opportunities to shine showing off his personality and establishing him as a possible threat in the future. The art of Nick Pitarra fits the tone of the book incredibly well. His pencils are heavily stylized and his detailed style lends itself well to the craziness of the Projects. Even if I wasn't enjoying this book quite a bit (which I am!) I would keep buying it just because of how genius Hickman's alternate universe's version of Harry K. Daghlian, Jr. is.

The Punisher #10 – I can't believe I own an issue of Punisher. What have you done to me, Mark Waid?! Who am I!? I just don't know anymore! Waid, Greg Rucka, and Marco Chechetto's three part crossover flows nicely into this issue. It's not quite as sharp as last week's Avenging Spider-man, but it's still a good little yarn. The ending is kind telegraphed but that has more to do with the nature of superhero team ups and the fact that there's still one issue to go before resolution. All in all, it was a good issue with great art and characterizations. Spider-man flirts with being annoying but never quite falls over the edge. There's a whole discussion that could be had about how I feel that writers overplay Peter's science skills, but that's an issue I am in the minority of so I'll leave it be.

Wonder Woman #8 – As far as I am concerned, this is the premiere book of the New 52. Not to beat a dead horse, but Wonder Woman is one of the few series to actually live up to the full potential of the relaunch. Issue eight goes a long way to showcase just how good the series has been. Brian Azzarello's story is tightly written, Cliff Chiang's art is gorgeous and the ending is a diabolical cliffhanger. Azzarello's versions of the Greek pantheon might not look like they are traditionally portrayed but he sure infused the gods with their classic intrigue and backstabbing. This was a stellar issue that ranks with Manhattan Projects as my favorite this week.

Wolverine and the X-men #9 – I've said in the past that I am trying to avoid Marvel's big summer crossover Avengers Versus X-men. I was hoping that the Jean Grey School would be left untouched by the events. Sadly, it looks like AvX is unavoidable. Thankfully, this issue wasn't too bad. Jason Aaron proved that he can write a tie-in book that stands up well on it's own. I have to admit that seeing Captain America hop through the Danger Room was a fun little sequence. Chirs Bachalo's art is good but at times it can be a little busy. Issue nine was a solid book with several great moments—even Toad got a chance to shine!



No comments:

Post a Comment