Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Trey's Obligatory Year-End Comic Book Lists of 2011



Obviously, the fraction of comic books I read this year is tiny compared to many of the industry's total output.  Perhaps, in 2012, I will be able to expand my consumption of comics to include stuff by publishers other than the Big Two. Heck, I might even read some indie books!


Regardless, I would feel amiss not making some general observations based on my, admittedly, limited reading.

Best New Superhero On-goings in 2011 (that I read)
1. Daredevil
    Just incredible. How more superhero comic books ought to be.
2. Wonder Woman
    If the only lasting legacy of the New 52 is Azzarello and Chaing's Wonder Woman, then it will have been a moderate success.
3/4. Swamp Thing/Animal Man
    Snyder, Lemire and their respective creative partners have met and exceeded expectations.
5. FF
    Might have been higher if I had been able to read the entire 2011 output. We'll see in February when Volume 2 comes out.
6. Batwoman
    Hard to believe that that this series has barely skipped a beat without the writing of Greg Rucka. JH Williams III is one of the best in the business.
7. Batman and Robin
   What?! A surprise entry! Tomasi's Bruce/Damien/Alfred dynamic and Gleason's art have this book slightly ahead of the flagship.
8. Batman
    Snyder's Batman is not as strong as his earlier run on Detective Comics, but Batman is certainly in good hands.
9. Wolverine and the X-men
    I want to hate it, but it is so good that I adore it.
10. Batman, Inc
   Hurt by a shockingly poor final issue and the fact that, technically, the series ended with the New 52, Morrison's Bat-saga is still a shining example of why he is one of the best in the industry.

So, with seven of the ten entries on my list published by DC, it is safe to say that I am still a fanboy, but MARVEL took home the top spot.  Make of that what you will.


A Few Great Single Issues of 2011(and a few observations)
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #4
   Would win the "Most Fun Comic Book Trey Read This Year" award.
Wonder Woman #4
Daredevil #7
    I'll admit it...I cried.
Batman, Inc: Leviathan Strikes #1
Swamp Thing #3
Wolverine and the X-men #1
Batman #1
    Best issue of the series so far. Hopefully setting the stage for more to come.
All Star Western #1
    As much as I am enjoying All Star Western, I would read a Hex/Arkham ongoing team-up book.

Tomorrow or the next day (or sometime soon, I promise!) I'll post some thoughts on the biggest surprises of 2011 and discuss some of the things to be watching for in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment