Monday, May 23, 2011

Casting Game of Thrones - Season 2: Margaery Tyrell

HBO's Game of Thrones premiered Sunday, April 17th to rave reviews and decent ratings. That combination was enough for the network to officially greenlight a second season. We'll be getting at least 10 more episodes in the spring of 2012, covering the events of the second book, A Clash of Kings.


If you've read the series, you know that means we'll be seeing a host of new characters, in addition to the favorites who managed to survive season 1. I've always been a huge fan of casting speculation, so I'm channeling my excitement for season 2 into a series of posts where I cast the major roles. And don't forget, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were the fan favorites to play Ned & Tyrion, so who knows, maybe I'll actually get one right along the way.


--------

UPDATE 6.23.11:   HBO has cast this part, you can click here for my post on it, or keep reading to see who I picked.



Margaery Tyrell
Art by Amok
Margaery is the only daughter of Mace Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden and the Reach. She is slightly younger than her brother Loras, the Knight of Flowers. The Tyrells are the second wealthiest family in Westeros, behind only the Lannisters.  As the only daughter, Margaery's access to that fortune will make her an enticing pawn as the game of thrones gains steam. Margaery is described as "doe-eyed and pretty with long, curly brown hair." - (from Tower of the Hand)


P.S. - I acknowledge that this is a character who could get bumped to S3, but I had a good pick for her so I went with it.













Sarah Bolger
Sarah was born in Dublin.  She just turned 20, which makes her three years younger than the actor playing her brother Loras.  She's best known for playing Princess Mary Tudor in The Tudors, and Mallory Grace in The Spiderwick Chronicles.  She was cast in the pilot of FOX's Locke & Key, but that show didn't make it to series, so she should be available.  I thought she was great in The Tudors, and she would definitely get to put a different spin on a young noble woman if she stepped into GRRM's world.














--------

NEXT TIME:  No idea what I'll do next week, we may have some actual casting by then, which could start to limit my options.

--------

PREVIOUS GoT S2 CASTING SPECULATION:
Stannis Baratheon
Melisandre
Edmure Tully
Asha Greyjoy
Davos Seaworth

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you for this ! Unfortunately, I've heard of Natalie Dormer playing Margaery :( She has something that disturb me in her way of playing, for this role, I hope she'll make a good work on it though...
    But this idea of Sarah playing her is really witty ^^ Foxy, intelligent, secret... perfect Margaery !

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dare - I liked Sarah better for the Margaery in my head, but I'm intrigued by the pick of Natalie. So far, I've been very happy with the casting decisions, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete