Monday, May 16, 2011

Casting Game of Thrones - Season 2: Davos Seaworth

HBO's Game of Thrones premiered Sunday, April 17th to rave reviews and decent ratings. That combination was enough for the network to officially greenlight a second season. We'll be getting at least 10 more episodes in the spring of 2012, covering the events of the second book, A Clash of Kings.


If you've read the series, you know that means we'll be seeing a host of new characters, in addition to the favorites who managed to survive season 1. I've always been a huge fan of casting speculation, so I'm channeling my excitement for season 2 into a series of posts where I cast the major roles. And don't forget, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were the fan favorites to play Ned & Tyrion, so who knows, maybe I'll actually get one right along the way.


----------

Davos Seaworth
Art by Amok
Originally a smuggler, Davos' actions during Robert's Rebellion won him a title, land, and a position of responsibility under Stannis Baratheon, the new Lord of Dragonstone.  He is known (mockingly) as the Onion Knight, but he is really a ship captain.  He will be a very important new character next season, but he needs to appear unremarkable when surrounded by great kings, lords and ladies. He is described as "slight with a common face and brown eyes and hair with a beard peppered with gray." - (from Tower of the Hand)


















Mark Sheppard
Now that it can't happen, I'll admit it...I was 100% on the "Robert Carlyle for Davos" bandwagon.  I think he was brilliant on the two seasons of Stargate Universe, and really wanted him to make his way to Westeros following that show's cancellation.  Unfortunately, he was cast in a new pilot for ABC, Once Upon A Time, and that show has now been picked up for a full season.  That means Carlyle is out for S2 of GoT.  Maybe S3.  Anyway, it's time to move on.

If we can't have Carlyle, give us Mark Sheppard.  He's a brilliant actor, and if you're reading this you've seen him in one of his amazing guest spots on EVERY SINGLE GENRE TELEVISION SHOW EVER.  He's Crowley on Supernatural, Canton Delaware on Doctor Who, Tanaka on Dollhouse, Romo Lampkin on Battlestar Galactica, Manservant Neville on The Middleman, Anthony Anthros on Bionic Woman, and Badger on Firefly.  He's done single episodes of The X-Files, M.A.N.T.I.S., Sliders, Star Trek: Voyager, and Charmed.  He can do just about anything, and I think he'd have a blast playing the honorable thief in service to the lord with an inferiority complex.

--------

NEXT TIME:  I'm leaning towards Margaery Tyrell for next week's installment, but I might let that slide if some other inspiration grabs me.

--------

PREVIOUS GoT S2 CASTING SPECULATION:
Stannis Baratheon
Melisandre
Edmure Tully
Asha Greyjoy

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm sold. Really... I loved Mark Sheppard on Supernatural, and on BSG, and on Firefly... :D He's brilliant. It is known.
    Only... Is he accessible for GoT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and BTW, I knew your top pick was Carlyle. What have I won? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meanwhile...
    I just checked, and the episodes of Doctor Who in which Sheppard guest starred were filmed in the US. I don't think GoT will import actors from across the sea (see what I did there? :D) unless absolutely necesarry. That's why I think that the thought of Sheppard as Davos is DOA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest hurdle for hiring US actors to work on GoT is actually union red-tape, although first-class trans-Atlantic airfare is probably a variable as well. While I don't have any concrete proof that Mark has ever worked on-screen in the UK before, he is British. He was born in London, and I don't think he moved to NYC until he was a young adult. I don't know all the vagaries of acting union rules, but I'm guessing he would have a much easier time getting approved than, say, Christina Hendricks. Still, like most of my picks, it would be insane if this one actually worked out.

    P.S. If GoT goes the full 7-10 seasons, and Mark NEVER appears, I'll be blown away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I adore Mark Sheppard, I'm not sure about him as Davos... this is one I'd have to ponder. (Can we get both Mark and Michael Shanks in an episode? Then we'll have BOTH of TV's Ubiquitous Guest Stars together! :D )

    One of the names I've seen mentioned that just *clicks* for me is Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from "Lost").

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Henry Ian Cusick, but I feel like he's too "pretty" to play Davos. He might be someone to keep in mind for one of the Martells, though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cusick is a nice looking man, but I think he's got a weathered-ness about him that keeps him from being *too* pretty. I think the problem that I have with Sheppard in this role is that I see Davos as one of the true honorable (and not naive *cough*NED*cough*) people in Westeros-- he and Brienne are really the two people that I think of being "True Knights", as Sansa is prone to saying. And while Sheppard is a FANTASTIC actor, he's always a slimey arrogant prick (hope I can say that here ;) ) and I just don't see Davos in that light. At all.

    Then again, I never saw Loras as a sneaky, arrogant, manipulative git until the series wrote him that way, so... *shrug*

    Speaking of Brienne... I know they've put out a casting call for her character. You have any thoughts on that one? :)

    (And for the record, I'd be 100% behind Carlyle...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheppard is normally pretty arrogant, but he was a good guy on Doctor Who a few weeks ago. I think he might enjoy a chance to play a noble underdog.

    Brienne is a really tough one. I've got a pick right now, but I'm not in love with it. I've been holding off a bit to see if something brilliant comes to me, or to see if they announce an actual casting.

    A hint: my Brienne right now is American, has been a recurring character on a hit network show relatively recently, and while she's not huge, she is at least 5'10, and I think they could "ugly her up" enough to make it work. However, they're going to find some random Welsh girl no one has ever heard of, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be totally ok with a random Welsh (or Scandinavian, in Mel's case) girl that we've never heard of. It worked well with Sam, Jon, Rob, Arya, Bran, and Sansa. :) It's hard for us to play casting director with unknowns, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Robin Weigert, who played Calamity Jane on Deadwood would make a great Brienne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I liked Robin a lot in Deadwood. Unfortunately, I think she's kind of aged herself out of the Brienne role. The actress is about to turn 42, whereas I always thought of Brienne being about Renly's age. She's also shooting a movie right now, but that might be done in time for her to work on S2.

    ReplyDelete