Monday, May 9, 2011

Casting Game of Thrones - Season 2: Asha Greyjoy

HBO's Game of Thrones premiered Sunday, April 17th to rave reviews and decent ratings. That combination was enough for the network to officially greenlight a second season. We'll be getting at least 10 more episodes in the spring of 2012, covering the events of the second book, A Clash of Kings.


If you've read the series, you know that means we'll be seeing a host of new characters, in addition to the favorites who managed to survive season 1. I've always been a huge fan of casting speculation, so I'm channeling my excitement for season 2 into a series of posts where I cast the major roles. And don't forget, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were the fan favorites to play Ned & Tyrion, so who knows, maybe I'll actually get one right along the way.


----------

Asha Greyjoy
Art by Amok
Asha is the older sister of Theon Greyjoy, and the only other surviving child of Balon Greyjoy, the Lord of the Iron Islands.  Rumor has it she captains her own ship, the Black Wind.  She is described as "lean and long-legged with short black hair and a sharp nose in a thin face." - (from Tower of the Hand)























Kerry Condon
This is one of my favorite picks so far.  Kerry is perfect for the role, and I think she has a real shot at being in the series at some point.  She's Irish.  She's most famous in the US for her role as Octavia in HBO's Rome.  She worked with James McAvoy in The Last Station.  Some readers might remember her from the Heath Ledger/Orlando Bloom Australian outlaw movie Ned Kelly.  The one thing that might keep this from happening is another upcoming HBO series, Luck.  Kerry's IMDB page has her appearing in three episodes, but her character doesn't even have a name, so she probably won't be tied up with that by the time GoT resumes filming.  Asha isn't a huge part in the second book, but I think it's important enough that you can't bump her to the third season.  I think Kerry would be great acting opposite Alfie Allen.






--------



NEXT TIME:  I'm totally going to do Davos, I promise.  The truth is, the guy at the top of my list is in a network pilot, so I'm trying to stall and see if that show gets picked up.

 --------

PREVIOUS GoT S2 CASTING SPECULATION:
Stannis Baratheon
Melisandre
Edmure Tully

6 comments:

  1. So now we basically know who your top choice for Davos is. :)
    Not so sure about Ms. Condon, she pulled off Octavia in Rome, but I can't see her as a tough little iron-born warrior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, there are a lot of actors in network pilots :)

    I will admit that if you pay attention to the method in my madness, it's probably a pretty short list for "my" Davos.

    As for Ms. Condon, we'll see. I think this might be the kind of role she'd love to play.

    Thanks for coming by the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely positive that your pick for Davos was a series ragular on a show that's airing its final episode tonight.
    Am I right or am I right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can neither confirm nor deny your suspicions. Right now it looks like the pilot I mentioned has a pretty good shot at going into production, so this may all be for naught.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this picture, she looks too much like the actress playing Lysa for me. She just doesn't quite *fit* Asha for me... although not so much that I'd pitch a fit if she were cast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she's got some spitfire in her, and it would be interesting to see her play a really active female character, as opposed to her reactive role in Rome.

    ReplyDelete