Monday, June 6, 2011

Casting Game of Thrones - Season 2: Ygritte

HBO's Game of Thrones premiered Sunday, April 17th to rave reviews and decent ratings. That combination was enough for the network to officially greenlight a second season. We'll be getting at least 10 more episodes in the spring of 2012, covering the events of the second book, A Clash of Kings.


If you've read the series, you know that means we'll be seeing a host of new characters, in addition to the favorites who managed to survive season 1. I've always been a huge fan of casting speculation, so I'm channeling my excitement for season 2 into a series of posts where I cast the major roles. And don't forget, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were the fan favorites to play Ned & Tyrion, so who knows, maybe I'll actually get one right along the way.

--------


Ygritte
Art by Amok
Ygritte is one of the first wildlings Jon Snow encounters in his travels north of The Wall.  The character is definitely a fan favorite, and she has one of the best-loved catchphrases from the books, "You know nothing, Jon Snow."  I don't want to get into much more character description to avoid major spoilers.  She is described as "short and bandy-legged with a round face, small hands, a pug nose, with shaggy bright red hair. Her teeth are crooked." - (from Tower of the Hand)



















Lily Cole
Lily Cole started as a model, but moved into acting in 2007 with the film St. Trinian's.  In 2009 she played the female lead in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.  She recently appeared in an episode of Doctor Who, and has two films in post-production: There Be Dragons, set during the Spanish Civil War, and The Moth Diaries.  She's from England, so she shouldn't have a problem getting cast.  She just turned 23, so she's in the perfect range compared to the aging-up of the other young characters.  She's 5'10, which is definitely not "short", but I personally don't think Ygritte's height is a central character trait.  My bet is the biggest fan objection to this casting would be "she's too pretty".  First of all, I don't think the books ever say she's ugly.  She's just a wildling, so she doesn't brush her hair or wear make-up.  I feel like Lily has the kind of face that the GoT makeup artists could make virtually unrecognizable.  And can't you just see her saying "You know nothing Jon Snow" the second after this photo was snapped?


--------

NEXT TIME:  I keep thinking we're going to have real casting news, and I keep getting disappointed.  Right now, I've got a pretty good idea for Xaro Xhoan Daxos rumbling around in my brain, so I'll say that will be next week's post.

--------

PREVIOUS GoT S2 CASTING SPECULATION:
Stannis Baratheon
Melisandre
Edmure Tully
Asha Greyjoy
Davos Seaworth
Margaery Tyrell

Balon Greyjoy

1 comment:

  1. Ha-ha-ha.

    I love how everyone suggests casting a supermodel for Ygritte, considering how she's supposed to be "unpretty" and "plain".

    Besides, Lily Cole is taller than Kit Harington.

    It would look ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete