Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New 52 Year 0.5: Flash Versus All Star Western



     We've reached the halfway point of New 52: Year One, and it seems like a good time to go back and look at some of the most outstanding series in total so far. So for the next month, I am going to choose a book each week, read all six issues, and jot down some general thoughts and reactions. This week, I couldn't decide between The Flash and All Star Western!

     The fourth week of DC's monthly releases is not quite as strong as the other three. If a book like Scott Snyder's Batman was moved to this week it would easily be the best book.  That isn't to say that there aren't good books coming out in the fourth week of every month.  In my opinion, The Flash and All Star Western are the cream of the crop. I couldn't decide which one I wanted to write about, so instead I made this chart:
As you can tell, I like both books almost equally. The writing in All Star Western is stronger than The Flash, but Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato's art is more dynamic than Moritat's.  I think the supporting cast in The Flash is a bit more interesting, and the plotting in both books is about the same. So, in the end, I would say it's a wash.  The two books are both solidly, if not spectacularly, written and they are easily two of the best looking books in the New 52.

No comments:

Post a Comment