Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Laura's 100 Books in 2012 - #4




One of my co-workers recommended this book to me. She and I share a love of the Anne of Green Gables series, so she thought I would like it.

Daddy-Long-Legs is a young adult novel about an orphan name Jerusha (did I mention the book was written in 1912?) who is adopted by an anonymous millionaire. The millionaire pays the for her to go to college. The only stipulation is that she never finds out who he is and that she writes him letters once a month. The book consists of Judy (she smartly changes her name) writing letters about her time at college to her mysterious benefactor.

I thought the book was cute and it only took me two days to read it on my new Kindle app. Judy is one of those precocious characters in the same vein as Anne Shirley, but it falls short of being as awesome as the Green Gables series. The only thing that irked me was that she called the millionaire "Daddy" in her letters. I won't say why it was creepy...never mind I totally will tell.

--!!SPOILER ALERT!!--She ends up meeting and falling in love with the man she calls "Daddy." If the guy had been old, I totally would have pictured Hugh Hefner playing him in the movie version.

If you want a fast read, this is a good one. If you just want something written in the early part of the 20th century about a smart and witty young girl, I would go for Anne of Green Gables

No comments:

Post a Comment